Occupational health and safety is key part of our practice. We regularly advise and represent employers regarding their health and safety obligations under provincial and federal occupational health and safety legislation. This includes responding to stop work orders, appealing orders issues by inspectors, and defending prosecutions under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and related legislation.
We also assist clients to develop joint health and safety committees, and provide training regarding the proper functioning of these groups. This includes policies and programs, workplace audits and investigations, and discipline and other enforcement mechanisms.
Finally, in recent years the Ministry of Labour has significantly increased its focus on workplace spot audits. We proactively assist clients prepare for and successfully participate in spot audits by helping them to:
- Understand the importance of carrying out self-audits
- Design effective self-audits
- Respond appropriately to the results of a self-audit
Ministry of Labour Audit
- Understand recent Ministry of Labour initiatives
- Determine whether the workplace is a probable target
- Understand what to do when an auditor comes knocking
- Implement best practices to ensure a smooth audit process
(see also Management Training, Workplace Audits and Workplace Investigations)